Cap City Comedy Club
11506 Century Oaks Terrace, Bldg B Unit 100
Austin TX 78758
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn how a TV comedy writers room works – what are the roles in a writers room? What are the rules of a writers room?
- Discover the entire process of writing an episode of TV – How do you pitch ideas? How do you ‘break a story?’
- Be an actual Writer ‘on staff’ and collaborate with the other writers in the room to write a script of an existing TV show.
- Take an original idea and carry it through to a finished product - from pitching to boarding to outlining to writing to punching up!
- Six three-hour-long class sessions at Cap City Comedy Club, Wednesdays from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Upcoming Class Dates
April - June (Wednesday Classes)
- Class Dates: 4/26, 5/3, 5/10, 5/17, 5/24, 6/7 (NO class 5/31)
- Class Time: 6 PM - 9 PM
Instructor: Eric Friedman
Eric Friedman has been writing for TV for 25 years. He is a two-time Emmy-nominated writer who recently served as Showrunner / Executive Producer for the Disney Channel live-action sitcom Bizaardvark. Before that, he created and executive produced the Disney XD puppet / live-action hybrid sitcom Crash & Bernstein. He just wrapped a 2 year overall Deal with Disney. Eric has numerous kids & family TV credits including School of Rock, Austin & Ally and Drake & Josh.
Eric has also written for a bunch of grown-up shows, including The Oblongs on the WB, Cheap Seats on ESPN, as well as Crank Yankers and Lil’ Bush, both on Comedy Central.
Eric loves being in a Writer’s Room more than anywhere else in the world, and has served as a volunteer mentor and board member for Young Storytellers. He recently moved to Austin, where he and his wife Katya started a Writer-Centric Incubator called Pesky Moon Entertainment, with the goal of finding writers who have yet to be discovered, and collaborating with them to help amplify their voices and tell their stories.
Eric is also an avid hiker and an overly avid eater of chocolate chip cookies.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the fact that all our instructors are working comedians, some classes may be covered by a substitute instructor